Friday, July 31, 2009

"Congratulations, Now You're a Personal Trainer"

He's probably working at your local Globo Gym.

I have had an article published on this in the past but, I feel the need to rant again. The fitness industry needs better regulations, but I don’t see it happening anytime soon. It seems everybody and their mother are becoming a personal freaking trainers these days. First it’s was a local coach who came by the gym.

Coach: “So bro what does it take to do this? Ya know like on the side for some extra income.”

The next guy who asked me works odd jobs and wants something else to do.

Guy: “Man I know how to work out. This job looks easy and would be some easy fast cash.”


The next was an account a client had listening to a martial arts instructor speaking with a friend.

Friend: “Hey man I got laid off and need a job.”

Martial Arts Instructor: “Dude, just get certified and be a personal trainer. You can do it online with a weekend course.”


And the last account was from another client who was getting a massage from a massage therapist.

Massage Therapist: "Yeah, I'm thinking about getting my personal training certification for some extra money."

Client: "You're an idiot!" (Ok, I really don't what he said back but I'll pretend)


And those are the latest 4 of the many accounts that are flying around in my head right now.

Do people understand how f’ing insulting it is to fitness professionals who take this serious and make a career out of it? Career trainers/strength coaches didn’t take a weekend personal training course. This is something they are passionate about and take serious. We don’t look at it as a side job. This is our career, our livelihood. We don’t do it for the money. The money comes because we get results. We don’t show people how to work out. We write individualized programs that get people to their goal in the shortest time and most efficient way possible. We don’t give people a copy of the latest fad diet. We consult on their nutrition and give them individual guidelines to take them to those same goals in the same manner. There is a lot more to our job than “counting reps”. We have a diverse background rooted deep in science.

We have studied:

Biology
Anatomy
Physiology
Algebra
Biomechanics (Quantitative and Qualitative)
Kinesiology
Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries
Psychology
Nutrition
Marketing
Fitness Management
Pharmacology
Human Development
Exercise Physiology
Special Populations
Strength & Conditioning

Those are just a tip of the iceberg. Most experts in the field have studied even deeper in many of these areas. Along with these studies true fitness professionals have years of “In the Trenches” experience(I may be young but I have over 10 years, no joke). They have gotten results for themselves as well as many others over and over. They also have self studied hours and read every book, journal and article they have gotten their hands on. They are hungry to learn everything they can. They do this because they want to be the best at what they do. They want to get people results.

So if you are one of those people who are looking to get into this industry here is what I recommend:

1. Train yourself and get yourself results.
2. Start reading an hour everyday on training/nutrition.
3. Join the NSCA.
4. Find a mentor.
5. Apply to a college and get a four year degree in a health related field (exercise science, nutrition, kinesiology, biomechanics, etc.)]
6. Go to every conference/clinic you can afford.
7. Take and Pass the NSCA-CPT exam before you graduate.
8. Internship with people who are in the know and be a sponge. Absorb everything you can.

Congratulations, maybe you can train people.

I say maybe because even if you follow those steps you may or may not have what it takes. I have also seen great trainers who didn’t follow all of those steps. BUT I can guarantee you one thing.

That weekend personal training courses didn’t teach you shit. End Rant.

2 comments:

Darren said...

As a client who had a bad personal training experience, I can relate. I belong to a big nationwide gym, and they have an in-house staff of trainers that, at least at the time I was training, worked for a private company and leased space there. My trainer was a big guy but not that well-built, not very friendly or personable, but seemed to know what he was doing. I signed a yr.-long contract at $1000. This got me 1 30 minute training session once/wk. Maybe mid-way through the contract, I could tell he was losing interest in training me, and he also started having personal problems which caused him to cancel appts. frequently. I eventually fired him, he never spoke to me again when he saw me, and then was assigned a trainer who was even worse (even though she was a lot friendlier). To this I say: Never again! I so agree with CK on this. This job unfortunately has grown an unfair reputation of being a sinecure, whereas to do it right, you really have to have the complete package if you hope to make a living out of this. Maybe it was just bad luck, but if I ever came into a lot of money and even CONSIDERED (this would be a stretch) getting another trainer, I'd ask a lot of questions before signing anything. Live and learn, I guess.

Chase Karnes said...

Darren,

I really hate you had a bad experience. It trainers like those that inspired this blog. If a trainer gives someone a bad experience they assume all trainers are the same. That is far from the truth. As in any profession there are great and horrible.

A year contract sounds crazy to me. I sell training sessions in pacakges of 10 with no obligation to resign. However, I have had some of the same clients continously for over 4 years. I must be doing something right.

You hit the nail on the head with "I'd ask a lot of questions before signing anything". That is key!

Working in a private facility (personal and group training only) I would say 90% of new clients are referrals. So they usually know a little about me and what I do.

Thanks for the comment on the blog! Good luck in your training!