Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Weekend Recap


I spent this past weekend at the University of Louisville with some co-workers and friends Shawn and Sam. We were attending the Kentucky NSCA State Clinic. We had a great time learning from some of the best in the industry (and one guy who I never figured out why he was allowed to present). There where a few highlights of the weekend.

• Having an old bitch try to steal our table in the bar area at P.F. Changs. There was a 1 hour 45 minute wait and the bar was first come first serve. I scoped out a table fixing to leave and we had it on lock. Then this bitch and her husband went in for the steal after we had moved over to it and was waiting it out. After some strategic body movements we ended up victorious with the table! (And got called a few names from the couple...Still don't understand why?)

• University of Louisville’s football training facility is badass. From the 16 power racks to the indoor sprint lanes, variety of bars, strongman equipment (logs, stones, tires, yoke, etc.), soft tissue toys (balls, pvc pipe), it is an unreal facility!

• The first presenter was a disappointment. Not only did he read from his PowerPoint, the video of his client’s demonstration showed some very, very shitty form. Needless to say he left after lunch when no one was talking to him…

• Mike Robertson presentation on the low back was great. I wouldn’t expect anything less form him however. Check out Mike's blog.

• Coach Adam Feit had some great practical nutrition tips for college (and high school) athletes. He was a great presenter and I expect to see him do some big things in the future.

• Coach Joe Kenn gave the best (and most practical) power clean progression presentation I have ever seen. I can’t wait to apply it with my athletes.

All in all it was a great clinic. I definitely learned some new things and was refreshed on some others. I met some great people and it was awesome to be around so many motivated trainers and coaches.

*For those who like to bet I would be betting on University of Louisville football this year. With their new strength and conditioning coaching staff they will be hard to beat. Want to see some proof of their strength? (and he’s a linebacker):

2 comments:

Rob Sinnott, MS, CSCS said...

tronzo is a beast. my buddy told me about the conference, but it was too late for me to plan to go. i heard the fairdale coach was a terrible presenter

Chase Karnes said...

It was a great conference. Too bad you missed out. Yeah, normally I wouldn't criticize , but he was horrible.