Thursday, July 9, 2009

Won't Back Down


I was driving home one evening and the song “Won’t Back Down” by Tom Petty came over the radio. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard the song by any means. I have been listening to Tom Petty since I can remember. Both my mom and dad used to rock out to some Tom Petty back in the day…and my dad still does.

The funny thing about it was tonight was the first time I have actually “heard” the song. Sure I have listened to it many times and liked the catchy sound. But tonight I “heard” the song. I listened to the song line by line, lyric by lyric. Something clicked inside of me while deciphering the lyrics. If more people approached their day to day life with this motto a lot of people would be better off.

I have lived by the message of this song from as long as I can remember. From the first time I was told I couldn’t do something to standing up for something I knew it was right. I hope everyone clicks the link below and listens to this song. Don’t just listen to it though…shut your eyes and hear the song. After it is over sit for a few minutes and think about the song and how the lyrics affect you.



Everyone will feel different and have different reactions, feelings and emotions. Some may want to sit down and right some goals out. Some may rethink some small things in life. Some may make life changing decisions.

Is there something you have wanted to do but been afraid of failing?

What if you took the attitude that you won’t back down? You won’t let anything stand in your way of reaching that goal. You can’t fail. Failure isn’t an option. You may get knocked back but you will come back smarter and even more determined.

Have you wanted to improve your health?

Have you wanted to lose weight?

Have you wanted to gain muscle?

Have you wanted to feel younger?

Have you wanted to make more money?

Have you wanted to pursue your passion?

Have you wanted to change professions?

Have you wanted to get out of a bad relationship/friendship?

Have you wanted to travel more?

And the list goes on…

Stop listening to others. They just drag you down. Do what 1% of the population does. Go after what you really want and don’t back down. Make it happen. You are the only person that stands in the way of you and reaching what you want. It won’t happen over night, it won’t be easy and you will get knocked back.

But think how damn great it will feel when you finally reach what your goal. Whether it is big or small, it doesn’t matter. You have proven to yourself and others that you can do anything you put your mind to. When you realize this it will open your mind up to a whole new world of opportunity.

From Rage Against the Machine:

“It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now”