Monday, July 6, 2009

The Balancing Act


Early this morning I got out of bed, went through my normal routine and started training clients at 7. I worked back to back until 11 and then it was time to train. I hit it hard today with some push press, standing military, chins, curls and prowler sprints. Finished up with a post workout shake and now typing this blog before heading back to train more clients. I’ve had 2 meals (chocolate peanut butter shake from Precision Nutrition and cottage cheese and blueberries) and I trained my ass off. Is everyday so exact and strict?

Not at all. I eat on track about 90% of the time or better. I never miss a schedule workout. Is my life boring and am I the stereotypical meathead carrying his gallon jug of water around? Hell No. This past weekend I spent at Kentucky Lake with my fiancé. Not to bore you to death with details my groceries I packed included:

Greek Yogurt
Granola
Protein Powder
Protein Bars
Turkey
Whole Wheat Bread
Bananas
Natural Peanut Butter
Eggs
2% Cheese
Miller Lite

Friday night we watched fireworks from the boat, swam a little and had a great time. Eating was normal (healthy some may call it). Saturday we (actually my fiancĂ©) fixed omelets and we packed a cooler full of the foods from the list above. We also packed plenty of beer. We tied up boats with some out of town friends and drank and had a blast all day long. On to Sunday, I had a protein bar for breakfast. I wanted to keep it light because we where heading to Belew’s dairy bar for some great food for lunch. For lunch I had a double cheeseburger and onion rings followed up with some ice cream. We relaxed most of the day; I fished a bit and took it easy. For dinner we ordered pizza before heading back to town.

So what was the purpose of this besides telling you my every waking moment of the weekend (not really the purpose FYI)? To show you it is about balance. Is every weekend that relaxed for me? No. It was a holiday. I took a break. My break looked a hell of a lot better than most people eat. I didn’t count anything all weekend. Did my muscle atrophy since I didn’t count my protein? No, I felt great in the gym today. Will I keep my abs with all the beer and shit food? Well I threw in a couple extra prowler sprints and I’m keeping my calories low today and tomorrow, so probably not. This journey is just that, a journey. A day here or there isn’t going to make you lose all your hard earned muscle gains or gain back all the fat you’ve lost. The only exception to this is physique competitors or competitive athletes in season. Then they need to keep their shit together. If you don’t fall into that category then don’t fall into the trap of all or none. Live a little in moderation. Enjoy life, and drink a cold one for me.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

So true.

Your blog definitely parallels to what I've been thinking and to how I've approached to integrating PN into my life. While I'm on summer holidays for two months, I'll be on the PN when I'm not doing an escape. Then, when I do escape home for a fun weekend or outing with some friends, I won't stress about whether or not what I eat matches PN. I may throw in a soda float just for the fun of it.

I do like your suggestion of perhaps eating a bit lighter today and perhaps tomorrow after going off PN during the past weekend. I'll borrow that idea.

And you know what? I'm sure your routine isn't any more repetitive than anyone else's routine! I'm sure there's someone starts one's day off by showering, getting dressed, deciding between McDonald's and Tim Hortons for a cup of coffee and something to eat for breakfast, sitting in the car in a drive-thru at a fast food restaurant, eating while driving, searching for the closest parking space that one can get to the front doors of one's workplace, etc. I can go and on. I'm sure people have routines like this 90% of the time.

Chase Karnes said...

Sounds like you have it down. I find the lower calorie day works well.

You're right. It becomes habitual. Eating shitty and be lazy becomes a habit. So does eating healthy and working out.

Jonathan said...

Exactly!

The hard part is willing to go through the changes that are necessary to create a new habit. It means that a person must go through a period of time when one isn't sure if everything that is going on, one has all the correct information, etc. Not many people like the feeling of being unsure.