Monday, May 25, 2009

28 Days Later


And I Did It Without Any Help From Jenny

This past weekend ended my 28 day war with body fat. For those who didn’t see my post a little over a month ago I had decided to go into a strict fat loss phase the day after my Strongman competition. This fat loss phase was inspired by this quote:

“Fat loss is an all-out war. Give it 28 days — only 28 days. Attack it with all you have. It’s not a lifestyle choice; it’s a battle. Lose fat and then get back into moderation.” – Dan John

I started the diet at 198 pounds. I didn’t mess with doing measurements or caliper pinches. Being a fitness professional I guess it seems I should monitor all of these things. However; I know my body very well. I know what my body is doing. I used the scale, my clothes and strength (in the gym) to determine how things where going. Over the course of the 28 day fat loss phase I lost 12 pounds. I ended up weighing in at 186. My strength didn’t diminish at all. I actually felt just as strong throughout the whole fat loss phase. I am figuring my weight will settle in around 190 as I transfer into my maintenance phase. Since I went fairly low carbohydrate during the phase the introduction of carbohydrates will cause some glycogen storage as well as intramuscular water storage. This will account for the weight gain as well as a little more food volume.

As for training my gym days I am going to transfer into a hypertrophy phase to give my body a little rest from the heavy weights. However; my strongman day will still include events, some of which will be max effort or near max effort.

For those interested in what I am eating, Stay tuned for a post on “A Day in Photos: Food Edition” this week.

No comments: