Thursday, March 19, 2009

A Can of Spike and a Piece of Paper


This morning I didn’t have my normal class due to spring break. With this extra time I have decided to catch up some on assignments that are due in the upcoming weeks. Before I begin I have started sipping on a Spike and jotting down some “Spike induced” thoughts:

• This Saturday I will be competition in my first strongman competition. It is in Mt. Vernon IL. I am ready to give this sport a try. I think this is the first sport I have competed in, in my life that I am a “Lightweight”. I mean seriously, how many other sports does a 200 pound person get called a “Lightweight”?



• Next weekend I will be making a trip up to Indianapolis to learn from some of the smartest in the Industry. Mike Robertson and Bill Hartman co-own Indianapolis Fitness and Sports Training (iFast). Mike also informed me that Tony Gentilcore will be in town the same weekend. Tony is a co-owner of Cressey Performance in Boston MA. I am really looking forward to this trip.

• For anyone who has a lengthy drive everyday or even once a week I recommend listening to some podcast. If you are interested in fitness/nutrition podcast I would try:

The Fit Cast

Mike Robertson’s - In the Trenches Fitness


Just because you measure your food, it doesn't mean its healthy.

• People need to pay closer attention to the amount of food they are eating. I saw an interesting video from Leigh Peele last night. She took two foods, oats and peanut butter. She then measured out what looks like a typical person’s measurement (slightly rounded scoop) of ½ cup of oats that should equal 40g in weight 150 calories. The rounded scoop equaled 57g and was 214 calories. She then scoops out a spoonful of peanut butter (just slightly above the rim of the measuring spoon). The serving should have been 200 calories for 32g. Instead it was 282 calories and 45g in weight. There was an 82 calorie different here, added to the 64 calorie difference from the oats and that is 146 extra calories. If that was eaten together at two meals in a day you are looking at an extra 292 calories over budget for that day. If you are trying to lose fat by trying to eat at a 500 calorie a day deficit but are actually at a 208 calorie deficit it would take a year to lose 21 pounds. Now think about this, what if you are trying to maintain your weight and are accidently overeating by 292 calories a day. You would gain 30 pounds that year. If you think you can’t lose body fat it is time you re check your methods.

No comments: