Friday, December 26, 2008

Chasing Rabbits



“If the dog hadn't stopped running to take a sh*t, he'd of caught the rabbit."

My grandpa used to always say that for some reason. I think it was usually when I made an excuse about something. The good news is I got older I heard it less and less (maybe I learned to quit making excuses). That quote has nothing to do with this blog except the fact that it reminds me of another saying about rabbits:

"If you chase two rabbits both will escape."

I see this all the time, people who are trying to obtain way too many goals at one time. They want to bench 300 pounds, lose 50 pounds of fat, gain 20 pounds of muscle, run a marathon, increase their vertical and swim the English Channel without floaties all at the SAME TIME. People end up chasing 10 rabbits (actually goals) and catching no rabbits (actually accomplishing nothing).

I compete in power lifting and bodybuilding and train for other goals as well. The catch is I don’t train for them all at the same time. I will take a block and hit it hard with one goal in mind. My training and diet will change to reflect that goal. By doing this and focusing on 1 goal at a time you catch the rabbit. You just have to say screw everything else except your number 1 goal. Once you reach it then set another.

Here is a great example. Say you want to drop some body fat? Hit it hard for X number of weeks and kick some ass. At the end of the block you will be a lot leaner and happier you reached that goal. Now you want to increase your bench max? Now work on that for X number of weeks while maintaining your body composition. Now you want to increase your 40 yard dash time? Work on that for X number of weeks while maintaining your body composition and new strength. You get the picture?

Now go catch A rabbit.

No comments: