Friday, December 12, 2008

“The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves”




As some of you know I compete in bodybuilding and power lifting from time to time. I have no desire to go pro in either sport but I use it as a means of competition. I have been a very competitive athlete all my life. From football to racing motocross for 8 years, competition is in my blood.

I was looking through last year’s workout log the other day and came across a page. It wasn’t my typical workout log page though, it was a paragraph. The paragraph was in my writing, but for a split second I didn’t remember writing it. As I read through the paragraph it all came back to me. I was training for a bodybuilding competition at the time and it was a late lower body day. One of those 9 pm, I’d rather be at home days. As I remember I had just finished my first set of squats and was disappointed in myself. I wasn’t pushing it like I should have. I was alone in the gym, besides the Pantera blasting from the speakers, and I had no one to push me. So in this haze of pleasure and pain my emotions took over and this is what I wrote:

“When I’m too tired to train, don’t feel like cooking a meal, don’t want chicken and broccoli again…. I think. I ask myself, “What is my competition doing?”. I picture them training harder, eating better than me and it lights a fire deep inside. I train harder and eat better than my fictitious competitor. That way I know when it comes down to it, trophies are handed out and I’m walking off that stage the best man won. That I held nothing back in my pursuit to be the best I can be. I can smile and know what it feels like to live.”

I think this paragraph sums up a whole lot more than just bodybuilding. I think its how people should view a lot of things. From business to training to dieting, its all about being the best you can be and doing what it takes. That’s what living is.

No comments: