Sunday, January 24, 2010

Metabolic Monday



Have you ever tried a barbell complex?

If you have you understand they are intense. If you haven’t you need to give one a try. The one in the video above is one of my favorites. I use it personally for my own conditioning/fat loss and also use it with many clients. I have used it with clients for wrestling conditioning, Jiu-Jitsu conditioning, powerlifting conditioning and fat loss. It seems to always do the job. It is a lot more fun (in a sick way) than traditional cardio and doesn’t take that long at all.

It is a killer complex and I highly recommend you give it a try. Perform it after a training session for a great finisher or on a day by itself. I also suggest you start light, such as an empty bar.

Once you give it a try give me some feedback on what you think below!

Also, post your favorite barbell complex below!

6 comments:

Jonathan said...

Holy! Are you really moving that fast or was your video somehow going too fast?

Chase Karnes said...

@ Jonathan - Just moving fast. I try to always lift as explosively as possible while keeping good form.

Jonathan said...

Do you feel that you're going that fast?

I sometimes feel that I'm going slow at whatever I'm doing, but whenever I find myself thinking about this while I'm lifting, I tell myself to focus on the form and on getting it done.

Maybe I should time myself to see how long it takes me to complete a set.

Chase Karnes said...

@ - Jontahan

Yeah, with a lighter weights I do.

If I am moving near maximal weights I concentrate on moving them as fast as possible. However; they are moving much slower. By trying to move them fast you are recruiting more HTMUs.

I wouldn't worry about timing myself. Just always focus on moving a weight explosively but in control. That should be your tempo.

Derek Peruo said...

Hey Chase,

Did you see John Romaniello's article on re-vamping the complex?

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/complexes_20_optimize_your_fatloss_workouts

He suggests adjusting each movement's rep range based on current strength levels; and placing high-skill movements first, followed by antagonist exercises.

Chase Karnes said...

@ Derek - Yeah, I read that article. John is a smart dude.

I have used his method before.

I prefer to use lighter weights and focus on speed and shorter work to rest ratios.

If I go heavier (as he suggest) it is too taxing on my body and CNS when combined with my regular training schedule. Same goes for my athletes.

I really don't consider hang cleans and push presses very high skill exercises. Some may argue.

As for balancing agonist and antagonist there is hip/quad, and 2pushes/pulls. I don't feel they have to be paired back to back. It is still balanced.

Thanks for the comment!