Saturday, November 29, 2008

"Getting Big is a Battle..."



“Getting big is a battle and my weapon is my fork!” – Dr. John Berardi

Dr. Berardi says it best with this quote. If you want to gain muscle you have to eat. I’ve heard numerous guys say things like:

“I just can’t gain weight”

“I am a hardgainer”

“My metabolism is too fast”

“My genetics won’t allow me to build muscle”

And those are just a few of the many excuses. While I am sure a lot of their workouts probably aren’t the best, if their nutrition was up to par they would at least have some noticeable results. Their problem is they just don’t eat enough. If you want to get big you have to eat big. That doesn’t mean a bunch of shit food either. I’m talking about eating a lot of clean foods. I currently on a clean bulk and weigh 194 pounds. Here is a peak into my diet journal from yesterday:

Meal 1:
Homemade protein shake (Includes healthy fats, protein and complex carbs)
6g Omega-3 Fish Oil

850 cal 28g fat 104g carbs 52g protein

Meal 2:
Homemade protein shake (Includes healthy fats, protein and complex carbs)

790 cal 22g fat 104g carbs 52g protein

Meal 3:
5 oz. Turkey Breast on 2 slices 100% whole wheat bread

300 cal 1g fat 42g carbs 38g protein

Pre/Peri Workout:
1 Spike + BCAA’s

Post Workout:
Whey Isolate with Waxy Maize

540 cal 0g fat 90g carbs 45g protein

Meal 4:
Protein shake

467 cal 12g fat 40g carbs 48g protein

Meal 5:
8 oz. Ground Sirloin
2 cups broccoli

410 cal 17g fat 11g carbs 50g protein

Meal 6:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake

426 cal 24g fat 16g carbs 34g protein


Totals: 3783 cal 104 g fat 407 g carbs 319 g protein

Keep in mind this is a training day so my calories are a little higher than off days. I actually utilize carb cycling even when bulking. On my off days my calories are lower and my carbohydrates are much lower. My diet isn’t perfect and could use more vegetables and more whole foods and less shakes. But being a full time student and working full time shakes are about my only options sometimes. Also, my diet isn’t the same everyday and foods change but on workout days calories still stay around 3800-4100. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how important food is. Food is the most anabolic substance known to man. Stop making excuses about being a hardgainer and start eating.

No comments: