Saturday, January 17, 2009

Getting Up!



Here I am getting my vertical jump tested at 30.25 inches. That is up 2.25 inches from last year. I am 5'9 and 194 pounds. Almost everyone wants a higher vertical. Most put on goofy looking shoes, perform endless sets of calf raises and heaven forbid tons of leg extensions. So what does it take to have a jaw dropping vertical? Here are a few things:


1. Perform heavy squats (>85% 1RM)
2. Perform explosive squats (~50-60% 1RM)
3. Plyometrics (Box jumps, depth jumps, jump squats)
4. Train the posterior chain (calves, hamstrings, glutes, low back)
5. Descend fast into your jump and explode up.
6. Lose extra bodyfat. It weighs you down.

It really isn't rocket science. Using those few tips above anyone can put inches on their vertical.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chase

My name is Jack and I own www.verticaljumping.com and as a vertical jump enthusiast myself it is great to see people such as yourself working on their hops. Your pointers are all spot on good advice.

Good Stuff

Jack

Chase Karnes said...

Thank you, Jack. Glad you are stopping by my blog. Nice website.

-Chase