Monday, December 21, 2009

Strongman Competition



I just got in from the competition in St. Louis yesterday. I weighed in at 198.6 and competed in the Open 200 class. The competition went great.

Max Log I opened at 260. Next attempt was good for 280. My 3rd attempt I hit a 20 pound PR for 300 pounds. I tied for 1st on this event.

The second event was Famers hold. I held them for 56 seconds or so. Don't remember the exact time. I finished 1st on this event.

The third event was 18 inch deadlift. I opened at 600 pounds and it flew up. I jumped to 700 pounds and pulled it also (for a 100 pound PR!). My 3rd attmept was a miss for 750 pounds. I took 4th on this event.

The fourth event was Incline log with 220 pounds. The incline was a lot higher than I had been training so it felt a little different. I hit 15 reps on this event. I took 2nd place. The first place guy hit 17 reps.

The fifth event was stones. We had to load 200, 220, 240, 260, 300 onto a 52 inch platform. I loaded the first 4 stones in about 16 seconds. I missed the 300 stone load barely, twice. I took 2nd place on this event.

Overall I tied for 1st place. In the instance of a tie they look back at your finishes. I had 1 event win and 1 event win-tie. The guy I tied for the overall with had 2 event wins and 1 event win-tie. Since he had more event wins than me he took the overall.

I was very happy to with 2nd place out of a very competitive class of 6 competitors.

I also won some cash for my 300 log clean and press. It was tied for the best max log of the day.

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

To be honest, during tonight's Christmas dinner, I was thinking about your suggestion of how competitions are good for you. I revisited your blog about your competition and realized that you're right! Had you not sign up for any of the competitions that you did this year, you may not have realized your abilities to the extent that you did during your training and the competitions!

Just had to share this.

Chase Karnes said...

@ Jonathan - You are exactly right! I just got into the sport of strongman about 10 months ago.

If I hadn't decided to compete I would have had no clue where my level was.

Now I am qualified for nationals and plan to compete in the fall.

I also found out the guy who placed 3rd behind me finished 4th at nationals this year.

And all because I decided to compete...

Thanks for the feedback!

Jess said...

The video is awesome but still comes nowhere close to showing the intensity of actually being there. That was awesome Chase.

Chase Karnes said...

@ Jess - Thanks for the comment! I am glad you made it out to watch.

Glad you got to do some training while you where home as well. It was good to see you.