Monday, December 31, 2007

Tackling Female Workout/Nutrition Misconceptions



10:15 Saturday Morning: Quaint Coffee Shop in Murray, KY

“I see your reading Men’s Health, so are like one those fitness nuts or something?” a tall dark headed girl in her early 20’s ask me.

A little offended to be referred to as a “nut” I wanted to respond part smart ass but the gentleman in me overpowered the smart ass and I replied with, “Well I am a personal trainer and fitness is a huge part of my life.”

I see she is drinking a large coffee drink and if I had to guess it was probably full or sugar and fat. After she takes a small sip she starts asking workout and nutrition questions. Now, this is no surprise at all because it happens all the time. So I sat back for the next 30 minutes or so answering questions, sipping my black coffee with a few splenda, waiting for the gym doors to open down the street.

After the conversation I felt I should write this article. Mainly to highlight a few of the misconceptions she mentioned that if I had to guess, most girls have about health and nutrition. Here are the 5 that stood out to me more than the rest.

1. “All the guys at the gym say I should lift the pink dumbbells for like 25 times, like 4 sets or something, whatever that’s called.”

My guess is these are the same guys that bench on Monday, curl on Wednesday, do crunches on Friday, and drink a case of beer a day at the local Frat house every Thursday thru Sunday. They may be able to teach you how to funnel 3 beer in 30 seconds, but when it comes to workout advice its like asking a member of the local high schools TSA club how to shoot a basketball. They just don’t know. Women should lift weights. I recommend for starters doing full body workouts. Using a weight that causes near muscular failure between 10 and 15 reps for around 3 sets. Starting with the largest muscle groups the working smaller groups thereafter. Start with multi join movements for the lower body (Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges, Leg Press, etc.), the upper body next with a push exercise (Incline Dumbbell Bench Press, Bench Press, Shoulder Press, etc.), followed by a upper body pull exercise (Lat Pull Down, Seated Row, Bent Over Row, etc.), then a posterior chain exercise (Stiff Leg Deadlift, Leg Curl, Hyperextension, etc.), followed by a abdominal exercise (crunches, leg raises, etc.). If you feel the need you can also add in single joint isolation exercise (Bicep Curls, Tricep Pressdowns, Dumbbell Later Raises, etc.) at the end.

2. “I run 3 miles a day like 6 days a week, is that enough?”

“Wow! How are your knees feeling?” That’s a bit overkill on the cardio. Now, unless you’re a figure competitor or competitive athlete I recommend you doing cardio you enjoy. (Figure competitors and athletes need to be precise on their cardio and it may not be enjoyable). Best bet is you work out because you want to look good in naked, as well as in clothes and on the beach. So, do what you enjoy for cardio. You shouldn’t dread it. If you like to run then run. If swimming is your thing, swim. If biking is your cup of tea then go right ahead and bike. 3-4 days a week of cardio at around 20 minutes a session should be plenty. Running 3 miles a day 6 days a week is way too much for general fitness and optimal body composition. You want to work at around 65-75% of your maximal heart rate. Below that you’re pretty much wasting time.

3. “I read somewhere I should be eating 1000 calories a day, so I try to eat less than that because if figured that would be even better.”

You probably need more than 1000 calories a day. Super low calories diets aren’t for you. They wreak havoc on your metabolism, make you moody, tired, foggy headed, and just plain mean at times. Most females should consume approx. 1500 calories a day. That is just a base to start with and if you’re not seeing the changes your wish after a couple weeks you should make the appropriate changes by increasing or decreasing your calorie intake.

4. “Coffee is healthy right? I mean you are drinking coffee right now.”

Coffee is ok in moderation and I would be lying if I said I didn’t start everyday with a cup or two. However, I am talking about drinking black coffee sweetened w/ splenda. “Not the sugar and fat laden mocha that I bet your drinking right now, correct?”

“Yes, actually it is a Mocha, but it’s made with skim milk.”, she replied.

Skim milk may cut back on the fat but it’s still full or sugar. Stick with regular coffee and splenda (or artificial sweetener of your choice) with an occasional sugar free skim milk coffee drink and you’ll cut back on empty calories a lot.

5. “So what is the best Alcohol to drink?”

Well, stop ordering your frozen margaritas and LITs right now. You’re easily drinking 500-1000 calories a drink. Mostly from sugar and or course, alcohol. Same thing goes with your flavored vodka, rums, etc. Rum has 0 grams of sugar a shot, flavored rum has around 12 grams of sugar (depending on the flavor). To make those flavors they add sugar, and lots of it. Your best bet is to limit how often drink, the less the better. Also, limit how many drinks you drink when you go out. Yet again, the less the better. Here are some the best drink choices in no particular order:

Miller Lite – 96 Calories
Michelob Ultra – 95 Calories
Diet Coke and Rum – 87 Calories
Skinny Bitch (Vodka, Diet Tonic Water (Or Water), Lime) – 97 Calories
Glass Red Wine – 130 Calories

Hopefully this article cleared up some misconceptions for you. I have conversations with people almost daily, all being similar to the one above. Make these changes to your daily routine and see the changes for yourself.

-Chase Karnes, NSCA-CPT

4 comments:

eSusanne said...

Having Chase as a trainer has made me realize there a a lot of misconceptions out there.

Sometimes we think we are doing everything ok, but something might be off balance in our diets and/or exercise.

Thanks Chase for keeping me in line!

Anonymous said...

Well, you definitely know your fitness. Now you just need to work on your condescending remarks and narcissism.

Laura K said...

Condescending remarks and narcissism? I only see straight talk. Good info Chase keep it up!!

Chase Karnes said...

@ Laura - Haha, Thanks!